Created for Necessity, Employed for Passion

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Let's build a world. Explore what we believe by writing. In many ways my characters’ experiences with fate, destiny and free-will mirror my own. What is up to us and what isn’t? It’s one of the great questions of the human experience, I think. But no matter what is for us to control, we must own the identity. You’re a writer if you write. Period. Writing is a lovely way to spend one’s time. Enjoy it. And I hope you enjoy my writing here.

Monday, April 2, 2012

What if Shakespeare got it Wrong?

The Contest
 

I’ve been toying with this idea for a while – the idea that we have the power to create the reality we want for ourselves. Facebook fan pages, Amazon ratings, Twitter retweets. Each of these gives us a voice and a chance to make change. We get to choose which products sell out and which of our favorite bands jump up in the rankings.

But then I watch Pretty Little Liars and The Office, and sometimes I can’t relate. I just want my ending to be included! Why are the characters making those choices??

In high school, when we read the classics, I always wondered what if things turned out differently. What if Hamlet’s kingdom didn't destroy itself before Fortinbras' army arrived? What if Voldemort stopped gaining power? The teacher would ask me to find meaning in the author’s choices, though. "What is the symbolism here", they’d ask.

And maybe that’s why I became a writer. I want to create my own realities. I want to write the endings to the stories I encounter. And if I feel that way, well, maybe you do, too?

So, here’s your chance. My upcoming novel takes on a new perspective of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, that of Rosaline, Romeo’s first love. Do you have unique takes on what you've read, too? 

Submit your alternate endings to the Shakespeare play of your choice in the comment section below! 


What if Shakespeare Got it Wrong? | The Contest 
We’ll be collecting submissions until Tuesday April 17th, 2012. Your ending can be any length (though it must fit below). Creativity, ingenuity and polished writing will improve your chances. 

Bonus Points when you like, share, tweet and post

Winners will be published both on my blog AND on Simon and Schuster’s website. Additionally, you will receive a free copy of my upcoming novel, When You were Mine!



Photo Credits: 
(a) http://socialtimes.com/5-earth-day-social-media-activities_b59081
(b) Jessica Sochol 

2 comments:

  1. Act V: A Midsummer Night's Dream
    HIPPOLYTA: 'Tis strange my Theseus, that these
    lovers speak of.
    THESEUS Darling, this is more than strange. They woke up naked in the woods and expect us to believe nothing happened! Do you honestly think that's true.
    HIPPOLYTA:Why yes! All their stories match up so well.
    THESEUS: Have you not watched CSI or NCIS lately? That's when we're supposed to be suspicious! I'd bet my last coin that they rehearsed that line. Their lucky we don't have them all arrested for public indecienceny!
    HIPPOLYTA: You're ruining my wedding with your mouth words! That's it you're sleeping on the couch!
    THESEUS :Ok let's not overreact. I'm just saying they all woke up naked in the woods. I can't have all my subjects running around naked in the woods! Remember what happened when that emperor didn't wear any clothes. It was practically a nudist colony! I don't care if they ate the mushrooms, someone needs to marry someone.
    HIPPOLYTA: Oh, I love a good wedding! I wonder if we could get David Tutera?
    THESEUS Glad we're on the same page. Now we have to sit through that play. Then we can head upstairs *wink wink*.
    HIPPOLYTA Stop winking. It's unattractive.

    The Play:
    PYRAMUS: oh hey wall, oh wonder what's on the other side of you.
    THISBE: oh hey wall, wonder what's on the other side of you.
    PYRAMUS: a Girl!
    THISBE: a Boy!
    BOTH: *SWOON.*
    PYRAMUS: lets meet here later, yo. I heart you.
    THISBE: Ok. *giggle giggle*
    ~later~
    PRAYMUS: OH NO A LION and moonshine!
    THISBE: Oh my, this moonshine makes me so tipsy. GET OUT OF MY WAY LION, MY FUTURE HUSBANDS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THAT WALL.*stabs lion*
    PYRAMUS: (having seen all): yea. uh, Thisbe. I got a thing. It was great meeting you. Don't call me.
    THISBE: Why does it always end like this? And what am I going to do with all this lion meat?

    Meanwhile with the faeries:
    TITANIA: So let me get this straight, you drugged me and made me fall in love with a human transformed into an ass.
    OBERON: That about sums it up.
    TITANIA: Seriously, I'm married to a 7th grader. How long have you been around, a cool thousand years? An ass? If you put half that much effort into our marriage, we wouldn't be living in separate nests.
    OBERON: What do you mean? That was hilarious.
    TITANIA: *SMH* *storms off*
    OBERON: Women.

    Epilogue:
    PUCK: If we shadows have offended,
    Think but this, and all is mended,
    Haters Gonna Hate

    http://kingtrumpsace.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/haters-gonna-hate.gif?w=610

    FIN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and that was me, @verbvixen. email is ktreads @ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete